I meant to make Asparagus Napoleons with Goat Cheese, Chives and Lemon Zest, a recipe that I found on Tasty Kitchen. I even had most of the ingredients - except frozen puff pastry.
Well, the only frozen puff pastry that I found at the grocery store was seven dollars! Maybe I'm a little thrifty, but seven dollars? That's Hawaii for you. In order to be a cook in Hawaii, you have to be very flexible with your ingredients.
Instead of the overpriced puff pastry, I opted for the $2.99 flour. I used some of the ingredients from Tasty Kitchen and added some of my own. Here's what I came up with - Zesty Asparagus Pie. Next time I will definitely cut the asparagus up a bit more. Nevertheless, it was pretty tasty. The recipe is below.
Pie (or Pizza) Crust
1/2 package active yeast
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus an additional 1/2 tablespoon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (optional)
1-2 tablespoons quinoa or cornmeal
- Mix yeast with warm water in a large mixing bowl. Stir until dissolved.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the additional olive oil and knead for about two minutes, until blended and soft.
- Roll into a ball and place in the base of mixing bowl. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and cover. Let rest for about ten minutes.
- While dough is resting, preheat oven to 400 degrees. And begin making the filling (see below).
- Spread either quinoa or cornmeal evenly on pizza stone
- Roll out pizza dough into a round shape.
- Place on pizza stone (on top of quinoa or cornmeal) and pinch up the edges to make a border.
- Spread Zesty Asparagus Filling evenly on top of dough.
- Cover with toppings.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the crust begins to brown around the edges and isn't doughy in the middle.
Zesty Asparagus Filling
(Mix all ingredients in a small bowl)
1/2 cup goat cheese
1-2 tablespoons chives
1 teaspoon salt
zest from one lemon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, whole
2 cups asparagus, chopped
1 tomato, sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly