Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O is for... Oklahoma

I am originally from a small town in Oklahoma. Minus a few cousins, my entire family lives there, and I miss them dearly. 
 
Although I've been away for over ten years, I still consider myself to be an Okie, and like most Okie's I am very proud of my roots. Granted, I don't have to deal with the unbearably hot summers, long, bitterly cold winters, occasional droughts, frequent tornadoes, and as of late, earthquakes.  I usually plan my visits in the spring and fall, when the weather is nice. 

Here are just a few reasons to visit Oklahoma (and not just drive through).


Oklahoma has a great deal of water.  In fact, there are 55,646 miles of lake and pond shoreline and 167,600 miles of rivers (www.owrb.ok.gov).

Almost everyone I know has a garden in the summer (and they all share their produce).  People in Oklahoma have been eating local long before it was popular.

Drivers are generally friendly, and even strangers wave to each other.

There is an ocean of flat, rolling hills.

Oklahoma’s Native American history runs deep.

The State has dozens of quaint little towns with antique and craft shops, tea rooms, and country cafes.

Oklahoma boasts some of the Country’s most beautiful sunsets.

There is the Tall Grass Prairie (where you can see free roaming buffalo!), rodeos, and the Cowboy Hall of Fame.

Oklahoma has many interesting festivals like the Pioneer, Striped Bass, Kolache, Tumbleweed Calf Fry (Testicle Festival).

Fried catfish.  Need I say more?

The State meal is pretty tasty – black-eyed peas, biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, fried okra, squash (or squorsh), grits, corn, strawberries, and pecan pie.  Come to Oklahoma hungry!




2 comments:

  1. I've never been there, but from the pictures, it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dana. Oklahoma is such a beautiful place - and very diverse. We have the Tall Grass Prairie, the flat, dry Panhandle, and the beginnings of the Ozark Mountains.

    ReplyDelete